Saturday 25 October 2014

Cadbury Cherry Ripe In A Block

I'm more than a little late with this review; these limited edition blocks from Cadbury are no longer available. Forgive my tardiness and enjoy the review anyway!





This year, Cadbury celebrates 90 years of the Cherry Ripe, an Australian favourite. The seasonal release is decorated to commemorate this anniversary, and in addition, Cadbury created a large, limited edition block dedicated to the popular flavour.


Made with Cadbury's Old Gold dark chocolate (45% cocoa solids), the block is dotted throughout with 'coconut and cherry pieces'. To be honest, this doesn't sound very unique to me. My first impression is that this is the same combination of products as used in the Cherry Ripe Easter egg, just poured into a block mould. Good for those who look forward to that every year, and good for me, who is not a huge fan of coconut.


The block has a cherry liqueur scent floating amongst the dark chocolate notes.  While there is no alcohol in the block, the richness of the cocoa helps to make this a decadent snack. The dark chocolate is a rich brown in colour, with a healthy semi-gloss finish. Although not visible externally, the block is dotted with what looks like generous pieces of a crumbled Cherry Ripe bar. This adds spots of rough coconut texture, a point of interest amongst the chocolate that seems to have taken up the cherry flavour. The coconut only takes up 2.5% of the bar, and I found it didn't stick in my teeth, either.


The back of the packet says glace cherry pieces have been used, but I wasn't able to find any (but I never am). The chocolate is quite rich, leaving me satiated after just a few pieces. I think this block would be best enjoyed after dinner with a coffee or two.

Score: 4 out of 5 jelly beans.

Cadbury Cherry Ripe In A Block is made in Australia, It contains  milk, sulphites and soy. It may contain traces of wheat, egg, peanuts and tree nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment